Corona Virus Information
March 10, 2020
We are writing to touch base with you in regards to the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and its impact on our school. As of today, March 10, 2020, there are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 at our school. We are monitoring the situation every day and are following the guidelines that the CDC is posting on a daily basis. We continue a strict cleaning schedule of the school and all learning spaces.
Please see guidance below:
- Signs of illness include fever, cough and shortness of breath.
- Any student showing signs of illness consistent with COVID-19 and who has been in close contact with someone known to have COVID-19 or has recently traveled to an area with widespread COVID-19 must be picked up immediately to seek medical attention.
- If the nurse, in consultation with administration, determines a student has signs of illness a parent/guardian or emergency contact listed on file will be informed.
- Staff members showing signs of illness will be asked to leave the building to seek medical guidance.
- If staff or students are out sick, we will require medical clearance from a physician in order to return to school.
- As with our normal protocol, students and staff must be fever free for 24 hours without the use of fever reducing medication.
- If a student or staff member tests positive for the COVID-19, The Ballen School will close for an initial 24- hour period. This 24-hour period will be used to clean facilities and the individual case will be investigated by the NYS Department of Health and a determination will be made to extend the school closing after assessing the situation at the school.
- Community-based job sites are cancelled until further notice.
- We will continue our on-site practices of proper hygiene to reduce the spread of viruses and respiratory illness such as reminders on posters throughout the building, daily announcements and classroom reminders to wash hands using soap and water for at least 20 seconds before mealtimes and frequently throughout the day.
It is important that we have your phone number on file in case we need to contact you or communicate via our K12 Alert System for any reason. If you have recently changed your number or contact information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your child's name and your contact info.
Above all, please note our greatest concern remains the well-being and safety of our students, their families and our staff and their families. Our hope is that all of our work remains a valuable exercise in preparedness and is not ever put into action. We will continue working with state and local agencies to assist with our school's protocol in order to reduce the spread of infection. Again, regarding school closing, we will close only in the event we are advised by the department of health or CDC or if there is a confirmed case. We will continue to keep you apprised of any developments as they occur.
If you have any questions about COVID-19, please contact your local health department.
Thank you for your attention in this matter.
Hallen School Administration